We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
BEdit»Forums
Benjamin Pedersen
46 posts
Mathematician
GUI usability

I use the BEdit GUI on large files. I experience two problems:

1. It often crashes or freezes. It seems to be on loads, e.g. on edits.

2. It takes minutes to load. I imagine, it would be a significant structural change, but would it be possible to display loaded members before the entire file is loaded?

I also have a nice-to-have request:

1. Is text editing for members and .bet files is on the backlog?
Jens
54 posts / 1 project
Co-founder and programmer of GameLoom Studio
GUI usability

Hello there,

I did find a crash for large files on reloads (either manually or by editing and auto-reloading) that I have as a high priority to fix. Of course, the crash you're experiencing doesn't have to be the same. So if you happen to have a crash dump, or would be interested in sharing the files I could have a look. You can share private files with me at [email protected].

The second point isn't actually that large of a change, and it is a change that is already in the works! Currently BEdit GUI spawns a thread and shows previous (if any) data while the new is being generated. But this is no longer possible with debugger support, as stepping over a line should reflect any members added in the UI before it reaches the end of file. Expect this to be improved in next release.

I think the third point is now the most requested feature :D I have it in backlog as #63. I also personally finds it annoying to alt-tab back and forth to a text editor, and as BEdit already has the basic text editing functionalities, I could see if I could get a "good enough" editor already in next release.

Benjamin Pedersen
46 posts
Mathematician
GUI usability

I have noticed that it always crashes, when I try to load a file while loading another.